Thursday, October 7, 2010

An Unexpected Addition to the Family


I’ve always been an animal lover. For most of my adult life, I have had cats in my home. Lancelot was my devoted cat companion for 13 years. He was a beautiful short haired pure white cat with pink skin and one blue eye and one gold eye. Quite the looker! He traveled the world with me, including to friends houses when I house sat their pets. He got along with everyone and he taught a few dogs that cats are not toys. I lost my devoted friend to cancer two years ago, and he left a void that has been difficult to fill. To get my cat fix, I spend time at a local rescue socializing and tending to the cats & kittens. 

Since I haven’t been ready to adopt another cat, I have been fostering a dog. An adorable, happy, cute little black Chihuahua blend. For some reason black dogs don’t seem to get adopted as quickly as other dogs, and little Isaac had been at the rescue too long and was developing kennel stress. A foster home until he gets his furrever home was the solution. It’s been a change in my home with dog toys and daily walks and play time with toss and fetch. He is now housebroken, sits and stays on command. This keeps him from dashing to, or through the door when it opens. He puts himself to bed, in his own bed, when he sees me preparing myself for bed. Since we don’t know if his furrever home will want him to sleep in a bed with them, I am careful to keep that boundary. It would be easier for them to give him permission, then take it away. He now walks with a gentle leash and he waits at corners for my command when it is safe for us to cross. We don’t know why he was dumped at the pound, but it was his lucky day when the shelter folks rescued him before he met a terrible fate there.

A few weeks ago, while taking our last walk of the night near midnight, something light colored jumped down from a tree and darted over to us. We have squirrels in our trees, so Isaac and I weren’t startled, only curious. It turned out to be a very dirty kitten, about 4 months old. He came to us and plopped on my feet and purred. Almost like saying, thank you for coming. Fortunately my neighbor has 3 beautiful tuxedo cats, and had extra feline necessities to spare. Even at that late hour she responded to help the needs of this little guy. We made a place for him with small litter box and cat bed in one of my bathrooms. He didn’t seem interested in food or water, and instead fell to sleep in my hands when I was wiping him off with a damp cloth. He appears to be injury and pest free, just quite thin. 

I placed him in the little pet bed and he fell fast asleep with a loud purr. He didn’t even seem to notice Isaac anymore, or us leaving the room and closing the door so he could have privacy and safety during the night. It’s been a while since I’ve had a kitten in my home, so fortunately my neighbor helped to make the decision on how much food to give this little one this morning. The kitten gobbled up food faster than Isaac. 

On our first walk the next morning, I placed signs with my phone number so the kitten could be reclaimed if the caller could describe him. No one did. Bittersweet. A couple of days later, I took him to the vet for a full check up and make sure he was ok. I use a holistic vet, and she appreciated what happened with my night light the night this little guy came home with me.

Since the departure of my Lancelot, I have kept a small white cat night light glowing every day. That night after putting kitty to bed, this night light burnt out. Was it Lancelot telling me it was time for another purr in my home? Was he telling me he knew I would protect this little one until his responsible person came forth? Did he send him to me to live here? I meditated and didn’t get answers, only peace; a peace I haven’t felt since he left.

Merlin is now a permanent member of this family. He and Isaac run, tousle and play together like good friends. Nothing is safe from the speed of active small animals racing around the house, over and around furniture. It’s fun to witness. I still miss my Lancelot, however, these two little fellows bring so much love and laughter back into my home that was missing for a while.

Tail wags and purrs.....

No comments:

Post a Comment