Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween safety for your pets

It's that time of year again where all sorts of goblins and witches wander the street in search of things sweet. Some of these are two legged and many are accompanies by their four legged friends.


Safety is important to all. We remember to look both ways before crossing the street, not to visit houses that are dark or too scary, don't eat anything that isn't sealed, and parents walk their small children to each door along the way. Some people include their pets in their costumes, other animals can be seen wandering alone hoping for a handout. (See reminder below about chocolate and dogs)

Bridget shares her story from last Halloween:


"Halloween has always been a night of fun when as a child I was allowed to dress up as my favorite fantasy character.  I have enjoyed this tradition with my children as well with each squeal and laugh at the costumes and decorations.

As a child I used to dress up the family dog in costume as well so he could be part of my fantasy. My mother never allowed me to take him trick-or-treating with me, citing she had too many kids to keep and eye on and the dog would be happier at home.  My own children have enjoyed dressing up our golden retriever, Jade, each Halloween, and playing with him in costume for several hours before they were allowed to venture outside for our annual candy collecting ritual. Until last year.  My 9 year old daughter, Marcie, dressed as a police officer and she wanted her "police" dog to accompany her on our route. My first reaction was to echo my mothers reasons for no dogs on the tour, but then Jade looked so cute with his official "police" vest, badge and "police" cap., and he was well known and loved in our neighborhood, that I agreed to let him go. Marcie promised she would hold tight onto Jade's leash, "because that's what the police do." Jade was leash trained since a tiny puppy to never pull, and Marcie had walked him with me, responsibly holding his leash several times and so I agreed he could come. Her younger brothers were Batman and Superman, so it appeared like a super quad.


Everything was fine for the first few houses. Several families had included their dogs in the costume festivities, so I was happy to show off Jade and his co-costume. Then the crowd of children starting growing larger and a little unruly at some houses. At one house there were so many children scrambling to squeeze through a gate to get the candy that was being distributed, that Jade's paws were stepped on twice. I started to hold back from the crowds and approached only houses that had less visitors. I was getting concerned about Jade and all the chaos so I took his leash from Marcie. At one house, Stevie's batman cape got caught on a fence and we stopped. I put my hand through the loop in Jade's leash, wearing it like a bracelet, to give me both hands free to release Stevie's cape. Suddenly, a few teenagers dressed in black and goth, teamed with a big black lab came running up. Kids were running everywhere was not uncommon, so  I glanced at them and went back to Stevie.  Then I heard a growl and I was suddenly on the ground. Within seconds, we had a dog fight; kids in the middle and I was on the ground stunned with Jade's leash quickly sliding off my hand. 


I was told by an onlooker that the black lab approached my other son, Brian, and Jade lunged between Brian the this other dog. Jade had never shown any aggression, however, in this new situation, chaotic activity and a new dog approaching his family member, it appears that Jade got defensive. Some friends said that the other dog growled first, but that doesn't seem to matter. 


People were throwing things at the fighting dogs, and I heard kids crying, screaming, and shouts to kick the dogs, to which I kept shouting back, not to kick them. As I struggled to get to my feet, the smart person whose house we were in front of, turned on his hose and with a powerful stream of water, startling the dogs long enough so they could be separated. I was shook up, but my adrenalin kicked in as I made sure my children were safe and then retrieved Jade from another neighbor who walked him away from the other dog to the side of the house, a place more safe. This neighbor knew Jade as a friendly dog, and stated he wasn't afraid of him, even now. We were all thankful that none of the other dogs out that night joined in on the fight, although you could hear their whines and growls from the distance as their handlers pulled them away from the scene.


My children were scared and crying, and Jade was bleeding. With help from friends, I rushed them to the emergency animal hospital. Jade had a few scratches to his face and front legs, and kept whining during the examination. The vet said he could be emotionally traumatized by the fight if he thought his "family" was in danger or hurt. He asked us to come into the room to calm Jade. My children had never witnessed  dog fight, much less, their beloved Jade acting so aggressive. With the help of the vet tech, talking about how he thought Jade was acting like his costume and being a good "police" dog, and protecting them, my children began to worry more about Jade and less about the fight.  They wanted Jade to know he was still a "good boy" and showed their love for him with hugs, kisses and compliments. This seemed to calm all of them.

While we were at the hospital, a police officer came by. Someone had reported the incident and he needed to verify the injuries and my perception of the event. Jade had to be kept in police custody until they could determine what crime may have been committed. 
It took 2 days for the police to complete their interviews and determine that it was an accident. No one could account for which dog actually started the fight, and no human was injured by the dogs. Several parents were upset at the trauma their children were exposed to, and a few were finger pointing at anyone who had a dog out that night. It's caused a little rift  in our neighborhood and a couple friendships have gotten cooler.


Jade seemed to be his usual self once he was home again. It took a few months for the replay of the event to fade out of our household and neighborhood conversations. But with Halloween approaching again, the memories resurface. My kids will be in costume again, and we will be going out as a family, however, this time Jade will stay at home."


****


1.  Re-think if you are planing on taking your dog out trick or treating.  If you do, be extra diligent in watching your surroundings and keep them on a shorter than usual leash.  Make sure they have their tags on and something reflective helps them to be seen. People are accustomed to seeing children, they can easily overlook a pet walking beside you.

2. Be aware of decorations that can be harmful to your pets, both inside and outside. Dogs may brush my a lit pumpkin and burn their fur, or get burned by a wax candle dripping. Cats at home love to jump and investigate, especially something moving,even a candle flame. Keep all burning candles in areas hard to access by all pets.

3.  If you do take your pet out wearing a costume for special festivities, make sure it fits well enough so they can walk, have clear field of vision, and that they are comfortable in it. (If they struggle to get it off, or whine while wearing it - could be a sign they don't like it, no matter how cute you think it looks.) Make sure there are no little pieces they can chew on and swallow.l

4.  NO CHOCOLATE FOR DOGS. the may get curious in your children's treat bags and they may try to eat it, but it is toxic and can cause severe digestive problems, even death.

5.  If your pets are excitable by loud noises even when at home, put them in a room or crate while you are out so they feel safe.  



Happy, Healthy and Safe Halloween






.

No comments:

Post a Comment